Journey to 5K Run

I'm bad at sport, any kind of sport. I can swim but only breaststroke. That's the only exercise I'd love to do. But now that I reached the point that gaining weight is easier than keeping it, let alone losing it, I realized that I need to exercise.

So around 2 years ago I started to add running into my workout plan, along with swimming. These days I can run 3-4 times a week, and I can reach 5K within ~40 minutes (not so fast, I know :D). Of course running 5K was out of question when I first started running. I used to be happy when I can reach 2 miles. 5K used to be a milestone for me, now it became the standard.
 
Going through this process I learn something that I would like to share.

Bad start is better than no start

When I first started running, my running was terrible, I took a lot of walking breaks, and inconsistent. But as I started learning more about running, I can plan my exercise better, I can decide what my goal is.

Every effort is best effort

It's hard to determine the best effort. There's no single variable to decide whether today is your best effort or not. One day you can measure your best effort with your personal best pace, the other day just by deciding to run instead of doing nothing is also best effort. Every effort counts, as long as you get it done.

Consistency is the key

I try to run regularly and measure every run. That way I can improve my running. That way I know my running skill better.

Your journey, your pace

Of course there are a lot of better runner in the track, but who cares? It's not about them, it's about myself. I want to run, I want to move, I want to be healthy. So never compare your journey with other people. They have their own journey, their own goal and process, you have yours.

When I think about this journey, I realized many things in life share the same process. Start small, stay consistent, and grow. 

For me the hardest point is consistency. Consistency needs commitment, and to have commitment we need to sacrifice something, either our time, our energy, our hobbies, our leisure, or anything. It's so easy to swap running with sleeping, of course sleeping is way more convenient.
Sometimes it's also about not having enough reason to stay consistent. Having a goal, no matter how good it is, is not enough to stay consistent. Many times I forgot that the journey is as important as the goal. What I do is to have small milestones along the way. That way I will have more things to celebrate in the journey.

Do you have similar experience? You can share in the comment.

Komentar